1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 Rating 4.50 (1 Vote)

BERLIN (Reuters) - Germany's domestic spy chief told a newspaper he was not convinced that migrants were hunted down in the eastern city of Chemnitz after the fatal stabbing of a German man, and suggested a widely circulated video showing violence against migrants may be "targeted misinformation".

Germany has been shaken by the most violent  protests in decades after the German man was killed in Chemnitz in the state of Saxony on Aug. 26, for which two immigrants were arrested.

[Source: Reuters / Article 07/09/2018]

Michael Kretschmer, Saxony's conservative state premier, had said on Wednesday that migrants had not been hounded but Chancellor Angela Merkel rebuffed his remark, saying pictures had shown "hate and ... the persecution of innocent people".

Hans-Georg Maassen, head of the BfV domestic intelligence agency, appeared to undermine Merkel by telling Bild newspaper's Friday edition: "I share the scepticism about media reports on right-wing extremists hunting down people in Chemnitz."

He added: "The domestic intelligence agency has no reliable information about such hunts taking place."

Maassen said there was no evidence that a video circulating on the internet was authentic, adding: "Based on my cautious assessment, there are good reasons to believe that it amounts to intentional misinformation, possibly to divert the public's attention from the murder in Chemnitz."

Merkel, who has said images from Chemnitz "very clearly" showed hate, on Thursday accused the far-right Alternative for Germany (AfD) of using violent protests over the stabbing blamed on migrants to stir up ethnic tension.

Thomas Oppermann, a senior member of the Social Democrats (SPD) - junior partner in Merkel's ruling coalition - criticized Maassen, telling German broadcaster Deutschlandfunk: "The president of the domestic intelligence agency is causing confusion at the moment."

Log in to comment


DrTTeeth's Avatar
DrTTeeth replied the topic: #1 6 months 1 week ago
Even more unsurprising, Maassen has now changed his tune and "rudert zurück". Was he intentionally ambiguous (e.g. to protect sources?), he must have known his career and reputation were at stake.

The question remains, If the video is genuine, why not reveal the proof? Who shot it? When? Where?
There is zero doubt that protesters comprising the full spectrum were present in Chemnitz including bad actors from Left & Right. A number of protesters were arrested for giving the salute so it is not unreasonable to consider some Migrants were harassed.

German spy chief backtracks over Chemnitz protest video doubts

Maassen had written to Interior Minister Horst Seehofer saying that the video had not been falsified and that his comments had been misunderstood. Maassen said he had meant to express doubt about whether the video genuinely showed people being chased, the papers wrote.

Shogun's Avatar
Shogun replied the topic: #2 6 months 1 week ago
Unsurprisingly, Maassen has been targeted by the governing coalition and the faux opposition parties for not obediently toeing the Merkel Party line, including, in some cases, demands for resignation.

On another note, perhaps someone should remind the governing coalition that there is such a thing as protected political speech since it seems to think anything other than slavish worship of its propaganda is a danger to humanity that needs to be demonized and repressed.
AngryDove's Avatar
AngryDove replied the topic: #3 6 months 1 week ago
More and more doubt is being cast that the video was faked, even MSM are picking up the story. Bild has stated it is the most explosive story of the year.

Maassen said he was skeptical about “media reports on right-wing extremists hunting down people in Chemnitz”, adding that a video circulating showing that happening could have been faked. The mass-selling daily Bild, in its Saturday edition, called Maassen’s remark “the most explosive quote of the year”.


DW.com Fact Check, was the Chemnitz Video Faked